When can you extend a spouse visa?


The spouse visa has a fixed period of stay and if this period expires, the holder is overstaying in Japan.

To continue to stay in Japan and not overstay, you must apply for an extension of your spouse visa.

Although you may want to act quickly to ensure that your visa is extended before it expires, you can usually only extend your spouse visa after a certain period of time.

This article is about the time period in which a spouse visa can be extended

The extension period for a spouse visa usually begins 3 months before the expiration date of the current visa.

You can apply for a spouse visa extension starting 3 months before the expiration date.

For example, if your spouse visa expires on July 1, 2022, you can apply to extend your spouse visa three months before that date.

After you apply for the extension of your spouse visa, it takes some time for the application to be processed. So, you should submit the application as soon as possible.

You can apply for an extension exactly three months before your spouse visa expires.

You can apply for an extension earlier

As a rule, you can apply for the extension of your spouse visa as early as three months before the expiration date.

However, if there are special circumstances that require an early extension of your spouse visa, you may be able to extend it sooner by filing a petition.

For example, if the spouse visa applicant is pregnant and plans to return to her home country to give birth.

What happens when the renewal period expires?

Normally, the spouse visa renewal period starts 3 months before the expiration date. So, make sure you submit your application within the specified period.

If you do not extend your spouse visa within the application period and your spouse visa expires, it will be considered as an overstay.

Note that if you miss the extension deadline by even one day, it is considered an overstay.

For example, if July 1, 2022 is the expiration date for a spousal visa and July 2, 2022 arrives without the visa being extended, you are overstaying your visa.

If the overstay is discovered, you could be deported to your home country in the worst-case scenario.

In the unlikely event that your visa expires before your spouse’s visa has been extended, you should contact immigration immediately.